Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stealth-But Spotting

How good you are at recognizing tricky-to-spot Yes-Buts? Read the following statements and try to identify which ones are Yes-Buts and which are not. (Review our earlier post on Stealth-Butting for some hints.) Keep track of your answers — we'll give you ours next time. Good luck!

1. Sure we could do that. However, it might take a long time.
2. You can buy a dog, so long as you promise to feed it and walk it once a day.
3. This new accounting program is simple, but powerful.
4. You’d think that would be true, but in practice it’s just the opposite.
5. The expansion you’re proposing is way too expensive.
6. I agree that there are a lot of risks with this procedure; we just don’t have any other choice.
7. I see what you’re saying and it makes perfect sense. Still, we can’t do what you’re suggesting without alienating many of our constituents.
8. On the other hand, maybe it’s too risky to take out another loan.
9. I see some advantages to your plan, as well as a few disadvantages.
10. It would be easier to wait a week before making that decision. Of course, interest rates may go up during that time.
11. If only we had a bigger truck, we could move all the furniture on our own.
12. This is the best idea I’ve heard in a long time. It’s clear you were thinking creatively. Unfortunately, I know the boss won’t approve it.
13. I know you have put a lot of work into this; it’s simply not the right time for it now.
14. I’m sorry I can’t come to the meeting; if there were any way I could make it there, I would.
15. Sure, let’s do it, but we’ll have to be careful about how we make the announcement.
16. I’m happy to go out to that restaurant, just not tonight.
17. I think spending a month in rural China would be a great experience; however, neither of us speaks Chinese.
18. Even if he convinced her to sign that contract, it would never stand up in court.
19. We tried that last year and it didn’t work.
20. Although I appreciate the work you’ve put into this project, the truth is, you’re way off mark on what is needed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment